Fed and Nat Competitions
2021 Not in my Name Competition
NFWI-Wales has launched a new competition for members to enter as part of its Not in my Name campaign. Established in 2012, Not in my Name aims to end violence against women by raising awareness and recruiting male ambassadors to make a promise to never commit, excuse or remain silent about male violence against women.
The 2021 competition is to ‘Design a logo for a T-shirt’.
Please find attached the competition guidelines. The guidelines are also available on the website and My WI for members to download:-
Huxley Cup 2021 Competition
Inspiring women across the country to create a greener and cleaner place to live
WIs are invited to design a planted area that could be recreated within their local community. The planted area can be designed for any season, themed to reflect the spirit of the WI, local community, or which tells a special story. Members are encouraged to work together and submit a design (or mood board), no larger than A3, containing a sketched 2D design (birds-eye view), a clear explanation behind the design theory, research undertaken during the creation, colour schemes, examples and reasoning behind plants and materials used plus a clear, drawn image of the finished planted area. It is up to the WI to interpret the theme as they wish, and decide whether to base their design on a season or a theme.
2021 National Competions
Crafting with the Chelsea College of Arts
Are you passionate about art and design? Are you skilled in weave, print, knit, stitch or embroidery? Would you like to team up with some of the UKs most experimental textile designers to create work which brings together the craft, expertise and heritage of the WI with contemporary design? Chelsea College of Arts, in partnership with the NFWI, are looking for skilled and forward-thinking craftswomen of the WI to take part in a project with BA Textile Design students, that will encourage skill-sharing, communication and creativity.
All these documents will be available to download from My WI - you need to log in to My WI first using your email address(registered on MCS) - any issues please speak to your WI MCS Rep or email NYWFWI@btconnect.com then follow this link :
* Chelsea College Project Advert and Application
Elizabeth Bell Challenge 2021/2022
Running from January – December 2021, WIs are invited to compose a record demonstrating how their members have worked together to engage and support one-another throughout the year; offering opportunities that have united their members, as well as successfully marketing the WI to increase their membership. All members of the WI are encouraged to take part and contribute; from organising activities, photography, managing and writing the record(s), to designing and formatting the final entry. We want WIs to work together as a team and create a piece of work which proudly demonstrates the up’s and down’s of a year in the WI, as well a recognising the inspirational achievement made by all members that will go towards safeguarding another 100 years of the WI.
All these documents will be available to download from My WI:
* Elizabeth Bell Schedule and Entry Forms
Lady Denam Cup 2021
2021 competition: “Let me show you what a woman can do!”
Artemisia Gentileschi, Self Portrait as Saint Catherine of Alexandria, about 1615 - 17 @The National Gallery
The NFWI is pleased to announce that the Lady Denman Cup Competition 2021 will be held in partnership with the National Gallery.
Using no more than 500 words, WI members are invited to submit a piece of writing, fact or fiction, in any style (story, poem etc.) based on the above painting by Artemisia Gentileschi.
Entries can be submitted either via email or by hard copy.
Entrants must submit 4 copies of their entry, typed if possible, on A4 paper to their federation secretary (some federations may accept entries via email - please check before sending) no later than Friday 30th July 2021. Any entries sent directly to the NFWI without being approved by the federation, cannot be entered and will be returned to the entrant. Please check entry fee requirements directly with your federation office.
Federations must send three copies of each entry to the activities coordinator at an address that is to be confirmed no later than Friday 17th September 2021. Please ensure the name of the entrant, WI and federation are only written on the first copy; entrant’s details must not be written on the remaining copies.
Electronic Entries: Federations may email their chosen entries for national judging to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Each entry must be accompanied by an electronically completed Individual Entry Form and Federation Entry Form.
- To allow a fair and standardised competition timescale across all WIs and federations, the NFWI has set a closing date of Friday 30th July 2021 for members to submit their entry to their federation office. After this date, federations have until Friday 17th September 2021 to select up to three entries to go forward for national judging.
- Each entry must include a total word count; entries with over 500 words will not be accepted and will be returned to the federation secretary. It is the responsibility of the federation to ensure that all entries submitted have the correct word count.
- All entries will be judged in the first instance at federation level and up to three entries from each federation can go forward to the national competition.
- Federations will be charged £10 (incl. VAT) per entry. Please do not send your entry fee with your entries. After the closing date, the NFWI Finance Department will invoice those federations who have entered, accordingly.
- All federation entries will be acknowledged via email to the federation secretary.
- Please ensure that the total number of individual entries received for judging by the federation is completed on the Federation Entry Form
- It is at the discretion of each federation as to whether they wish to set a fee for members to enter the competition at federation level. It is the responsibility of the federation to ensure members are made fully aware of their closing date, any terms and entry fees
- All entries at national level will receive a critique by the judge
- Requests for late entries to receive a critique by the judges, outside of the competition, will not be granted
- Deadline for federation entries is Friday 17th September 2021
- Results will be announced by early December 2021.
Prizes: Book tokens will be given as prizes: 1st prize, book tokens to the value of £75; 2nd prize book tokens to the value of £50 and 3rd prize book tokens to the value of £30. The winner/winning federation will be presented with the Lady Denman Cup.
You can also download and share the above schedule for the Lady Denman Cup Competition 2021 via this link.